Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pit bulls deserve equal rights

My life as an American Pit Bull Terrier has not been an easy toll to take. All I ever wanted was to have the freedom to run, play and be loved. And at night, serve as your guardian angel and protect you while you sleep.

I am more afraid of you than you are of me. I am tied up all day long, outside mostly, either in a cage or on a chain, left outside on hot summer days or alone outside counting stars on cold, winter nights. Sometimes I’ve even been left without food or water.

I am teased, provoked, and forced into fighting, because I am a peopl- pleaser and do what is expected of me. Oftentimes, I am not let out to socialize with other dogs or humans. Do you blame me for getting loose and being scared of you?

Who wants to go home to that? So I run the streets, and if I get captured, I am put to death, no questions asked. Or I may be killed in cold blood when all I want is food, water, a warm place to sleep, a soft voice to comfort me and a place I can feel needed and loved.

I don’t get to pick my owners; they always pick me, and sometimes abuse me and ruin me. The news hates me and rarely says anything nice about me. They don’t know me. They have never walked in my shoes, but they are first in line to criticize me. Because of my owners, I am sometimes put to death, while they may only get a slap on the wrist or nothing at all.

I am asking you to speak for me, since I cannot speak for myself. We need to ban bad owners and hold them accountable for their actions. Please save me and my breed. I am a full-blooded American Pit Bull Terrier; others who do not like me call me a killer or a murderer.

As of January 2009, several counties are forcing an all-out ban on the American Pit Bull Terrier, all because of a few bad owners. We are loveable, affectionate dogs who have had a bad rap for long enough. It’s time the bad owners spend more time in a cage receiving the same treatment they have passed on to us in our good name. There are various websites that have ways to help save us, and we need this type of defense from the community.

Pit Bull Terriers need a voice and need to be heard. So please help by writing letters, organizing pet-lovers meetings or simply sharing this letter with someone to help get the word out.

Defend the freedom of innocent Pit Bulls, especially those who are subjected to abuse and neglect until their last breath. Bad pet owners should be held accountable, not innocent dogs. Let’s stop this problem at its roots. Let’s stop the abuse of innocent animals.


Jeremy Tilford

Estacada

No comments: